On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Joshua Peisach
<itzswirlz2...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> UCR has been around for 3 years. Plan since day 0, when I went on discourse
> and brought up the idea was flavor.
>
> There have been reasons I've been so hesitant to reach out - these dang
> barriers. Again, for you and current devs it doesn't matter but for community
> members it is essentially impossible to move forward.
>
> "Escalation" - I've wanted to apply for PPU status to get my packages into
> universe but other roadblocks keeps popping up. For example, the Debian
> cinnamon maintainer left Debian and me and Fabio fantoni as aforementioned,
> we both deserve rights but we don't get that. The only escalation that has
> been happening is that Erich decided to help me and upload the
> ubuntucinnamon-* packages to universe. But the directions are still unclear
> as to what to do. Should a germinate seed be in Launchpad before or after
> applying to flavor status? When it says "one or more developer with upload
> rights" what does the at mean? You already have upload rights. I don't.
>
> And to say that "oh we are using the community council and you're being
> unfair to the TB", we are just trying to figure out what we are supposed to
> do.
>
> You could say "oh just apply for status" but trying to find those places of
> contribution can be difficult and it feels very rare to see someone new come
> in and get their dev membership nowadays, especially one who isn't already a
> member.
>
> And to top it off, make requests for improvements individually? Currently I
> am silenced. Nobody cares if I say a thing; in general, I get ghosted anyways
> or treated as if I'm dumb. To many, my input doesn't matter and if I were to
> email TB right now they would probably not respond, or not even let my email
> go through the mailing list.
>
> I know I sound very harsh - but check my application page. And look at Ubuntu
> Cinnamon and Unity and their community. If you want to make a distro where we
> embrace community, put your company paychecks aside and make it happen. We
> want this. The community wants this. And we aren't letting this stop us and
> we will not be silenced.
>
> If you truly believe that I need to be a core dev, then you are saying any
> community member who wants to create a flavor needs to spend YEARS getting to
> that high of privilege. And that is not community friendly at all. I am a
> student, and I'm going to a magnet school in September (a CS school might I
> add). School is going to get more intense and I'm not going to be spending 6
> hours a day on Ubuntu development.
>
> Again, to you this is hard to understand because you already **have** the
> upload rights.
>
> Truly, with honesty,
> -Josh

Josh,

Thank you for emailing.

Background
---------------
Let me try to briefly summarize my story. I am not doing this to brag,
but to try to communicate that I've been where you are.

I didn't join Canonical until January of this year. The vast majority
of my contributions to Ubuntu were done as a volunteer community
member. It took me a long time to see myself as a Developer because I
didn't have a traditional computer science education or paid work
experience. Related to that, I usually took too long to apply for
memberships and upload rights. I became an Ubuntu Member in 2011. By
the time I applied I was more than qualified and was told I could have
used the Contributing Developer process instead. I didn't know that. I
joined Ubuntu Desktop (an uploading team) later that year and I joined
MOTU the next year. Ubuntu GNOME became an official flavor for 13.04.

The other co-founder of Ubuntu GNOME, Tim Lunn, who was Technical Lead
for a couple years when I wasn't able to, never joined MOTU or Core
Dev. It's not required to join those teams to be a Technical Lead for
an official Ubuntu flavor. But there needs to be a plan for at least
one developer to get PPU upload rights for your flavor's essential
packages.

I eventually got Debian Developer and Ubuntu Core status in 2017. But
I should have applied for those sooner. Because I waited too long, I
try to encourage others to apply sooner.

You do not need years of work to get the upload rights you need. It is
generally interpreted as 6 months of work. Therefore, I believe you
more than qualify for the Ubuntu upload rights you need.

Oh and I wanted to contribute to Ubuntu for years but it wasn't until
2011 that I figured out where I could use my skills to make a
difference.

Help
------
Your PPU application [1] needs more endorsements. I'll write one for
you this week.

I think you should include all the Debian Cinnamon packages in your
team's packageset (except for libtimezonemap since that's a shared
component).

I think the biggest thing you've been missing earlier in your Ubuntu
contributions is a mentor to help you reach your full potential in
Ubuntu and along the way, get the uploader status and memberships you
deserve. I volunteer to help you with that.

We should also get you upload rights in Debian. I want to help you
with that too.

There is a need in Ubuntu to have a better mentorship/sponsorship
process so that other people like you don't get neglected. I know that
Canonical has been investing more in Community recently so I'm hoping
Canonical's Community team can help improve this area.

Apology
----------
I apologize that my earlier email in this thread came across as
dismissive. I only meant to suggest that action from the Community
Council seemed too aggressive to me based on the immediate context of
the very recent email starting the Official Flavor process. I didn't
mean to target you or ignore your concerns or Erich's concerns. There
clearly was deeper context that wasn't apparent from the initial
Official Flavor email or its reply. I don't believe you were wrong to
talk to Erich or anyone else on the Community Council.

I am deeply troubled by your feeling that your voice isn't being
heard. I personally strongly appreciate the sustained work you have
been doing. You are intelligent. Your work matters and your input is
important.

I want to do my part to help you feel valued too.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/itzswirlz/Applications/UbuntuCinnamonPPUApplication

Thank you,
Jeremy