On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:28:40 +0200, ttoine wrote:
>Do you know why the RME pci sound cards and or firewire sound cards
>are working with Ubuntu, and Ubuntu Studio?

Actually my RME PCIe card doesn't work with any Linux distro. For
testing purpose I installed Windows and FreeBSD and there is no issue
to get it working on Windows and FreeBSD.

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDSPMx579bcc [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:59:14 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>Please continue the discussion off-list if you have to and stay kind
>to each other.

No need to continue off-list. It's absolutely inappropriate to
"announce" a shop that sells the COF on clothes by an official Ubuntu
Studio channel. To make Ubuntu Studio more popular, buzz marketing is a
good approach, not "announcing" a commercial clothes shop. Buzz
marketing is to help users on Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavour mailing lists
and other related mailing lists, forums and by writing Wikis, providing
good software. Donations are good, too. I'm aware that in some nations
it's popular to list donars, sometimes even by a ranking, OTOH in some
countries, such as Germany, it's bad taste to do so. For good reasons we
donate anonymously, anything else is considered as being lobbyism or
camouflaged advertising. Better configure your MUA build with

  --build=$(uname -m)-ubuntustudio-linux-gnu

actually I build with

  --build=$(uname -m)-ubuntustudio-linux-gnu

for my Ubuntu install, but also with

  --build=$(uname -m)-arch-linux-gnu

for my Arch install. Regarding security concerns it's more common to
build with $(uname -m)-unknown-linux-gnu among experienced users and
there's nothing wrong with this apporach. You could even sell or give
away clothes, stickers, patches etc. and even spread news about
commercial Linux related hardware and software, but announcing a shop
that sells clothes and/or cups, alcohol free-beer and similar unrelated
things is a bad attitude, since without doubts it's an offence against
the term "libre". Selling and announcing Emacs, install media etc. is
absolutely ok. Selling clothes is as well ok, just announcing such a
shop by an noncommercial distro sucks out loud. You can't seriously
consider mentioning this and giving examples what could go wrong, a bad
tone of voice.

I programmed free pro-midi software on the C64 and shared self-made
audio and MIDI circuits, when this didn't exist for Linux, "an operating
system kernel first released on October 5, 1991"[1] and I chose Linux
regarding the strictness FLOSS attitude. I'm even not against
proprietary software and hardware, IOW I'm even not against mixing both
domains, the proprietary with Linux, but there is a limit and this is
mixing software and hardware with e.g. fashion ware.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux