Hi,

It is not necessary to have packaging experience. But if it interests
you, it can be learnt over time.

There are plenty of roles you could take to help keep Ubuntu Studio
alive. Checkout our wiki, and all the different roles and teams, and
sign up!
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

Let us know what you would like to try working on, and what experience
you have. What do you use US for at the moment?

As a first step to helping with the up and coming releases, you could
test the Artful & Bionic Daily ISO images, and report your results (good
and bad):
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/

Of course, I have been focusing on testing, but there is bug triage,
documentation, website, joining in on forums/mailing lists, and trying
to help users as best as you can...........