P.S. Can I safely use the updates you refer to at
https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa ???

~Leo

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: leo <le...@yahoo.com>
To: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion
<ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: Jack & Ardour updates

I'm having a heck of a time for a couple weeks now just to get Jack and Ardour
set up. My first goal is:

1) Input  *.wav file into Ardour track ( = done, success)...I can hear the wav
track thru my headphones via Audiobox USB interface, or thru computer external
speakers via HDA Intel soundcard, by toggling my choice )via PActl GUI icon at
top panel)

2) Record guitar in Ardour also so I can hear my guitar, and the wav track, and
see the waveforms in the editor window simultaneously (= last night I got it to
work, but today not!!/same setup as last night) =nightmare. :(

After the above basic goal is achieved I can hopefully move on and enjoy my
music recording and editing.

I'm running:
 Pentium IV Extreme computer, AW8d motherboard (2 usb ports on front panel
unused; 4 in back, used for mouse, keyboard, Wacom tablet, and printer).

 6 mb memory; 300 gb hd (2, actually; the other has Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit)

 Ubuntu Studio 13.04 raring 64 bit kernel 3.8.0-19

 Jack 0.3.9

 Patchage 0.5.0

 Ardour 2.8.14

Audiobox USB interface (usb and MAC compliant)

I'm basically going nuts here trying mostly now to figure out the proper ins
and outs of the jack setup. I suspect the answer to solving my dilemna is in
the jack setup.

~Leo