El 09/05/2013 02:46, "leo" <le...@yahoo.com> escribió:

> I use Patchage as well as Jack because I get confused with the names of
interfaces, etc., used in jack setup and the connections diagram is easier
to see and understand in Patchage.

I like patchage too.

> True, I noticed the order of devices do indeed change after reboot.

Follow Ralf's advice to give the cards fixed numbers in modprobe.conf.
Alternatively, you can avoid the problem by calling the card by name
instead of by number. You see the card name between square brackets when
you enter:

cat /proc/asound/cards

in a terminal. Then you can type:

hw:name

in the interface field of qjackctl, even if it is not an option in the list
you see there.

The above assumes that the device #0 of the Audiobox is duplex. If it had
separate devices for capture and playback, then you would need to fill the
'input device' and 'output device', rather than 'interface'. If in doubt,
show the terminal output of

arecord -l && aplay -l

And, additionally, I have tried loading Jack both before or after loading
Ardour.

When you write Jack you refer to qjackctl or 'Jack Control' gui. Jack is
the underlying audio system behind Ardour and many other 'jack-aware' apps.
Ardour itself will start the jack daemon if Ardour finds that it is not
running.

I use the connections diagrams of both Jack and Patchage to help me
understand how it all relates to the mixers edit windows. I am hoping I
will eventually get a grip on how to make all my connections thru the
Ardour mixers windows so I don't end up having to do the same with Jack.

Where you make the connections is a matter of convenience but you don't
need to make them twice.

> An update may help. I just don't know if Tim's advice would work with my
version of Ubuntu or break it....

I don't think it will break it but it won't help automagically solve jack
configuration or card ordering issues. Solve those first, I suggest

>    "...I personally would recommend the kxstudio repos in launchpad.
There you will get nearly newest packages.