Maybe I am wrong or just plain stupid, but I did a fresh install of
Ubuntu 12.04 precise 32-bit and selected "Install Third party" thingy
and I still get the driver 295.40 in the NVIDIA-XCONFIG. Am I doing
something wrong? If the fix is released, then should I not get 295.49
instead of .40?

I haven't tried any of the suggestions above as I do not know how to
install the beta driver 302.xx and by default I am not seeing the 295.49
driver yet in my system.

I think I am doing something wrong here.

Thanks,
Abhishek

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [regression] Nvidia 295.40: Unity 3D does not work at all with the new
  nvidia driver