I would add the one-line patch, but then every monitor event triggers
the "new monitor" signal since all previously known monitors are now
forgotten.

To see this bug in action, enable the setting "Configure new displays
when connected", then manipulate the monitors with the settings dialog.
Move them, turn them on/off, click apply.

You'll quickly find many many display settings popping up.

So while this patch fixes this bug for you, it also creates a new bug
for everyone. Please continue to explore and provide additional patches.
It's difficult to provide a proper fix when the original issue does not
affect me or Simon, the other active maintainer of the display
settings..

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled