Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2008 10:57:37 Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
>> Rob Landley wrote:
>>> Has there been any follow-up on this?
>> No that I'm aware of.
>
> Consider this a follow-up then.
>
>>> I'm interested in this, because I'm trying to build Linux From Scratch
>>> 6.3 under the upcoming Firmware Linux 0.9.1, which means I'm trying to
>>> build glibc under uClibc.  And current versions of glibc won't even cross
>>> compile from a host that doesn't support TLS.  (Yeah, I know it's broken.
>>>  It's maintained by the FSF.)
>>>
>>> I can't provide a working uClibc development environment for a target and
>>> then tell people "building glibc, if you want it, is your problem" if I
>>> myself can't make it work.  So I need this.
>>>
>>> I note that the original paper on TLS is:
>>>
>>>   http://people.redhat.com/drepper/tls.pdf
>>>
>>> Which might help...
>> This is what I used for adding TLS/sh4 relocation support on ld.so (nptl
>> branch)
>
> Ok, questions:
>
> 1) How platform specific is it?
Fully, TLS relocations are different from one arch to another.

> 2) Does it actually have anything to do with nptl?

Nothing, just dynamic linker, and obviously your compiler has to
recognize the __thread keyword.

> What I'm thinking is that if TLS can be added to the main svn branch as a
> separate chunk, that's can be considered a partial merge (brings the NPTL and
> mainline branches somewhat closer), and it's small and separate enough to go
> into a 0.9.30 release.

Honestly, I'd do a 0.9.30 right now without delaying further as a lot of
peoples are asking for a new release since a long time.
We can have a branch as a development tree for adding TLS support but
independently from NPTL merge... I'd like to do this after .30 release.
In this way we will have already TLS for arm/mips/sh4 as part as the
nptl work... and it can be used as a reference implementation.

At this stage, having a separate branch for adding TLS support for other
archs (which one... i386 only ?) , may be done in a separate branch or
directly to the main stream.

> Also, rather than have _three_ threading branches (once NPTL is added), I'd
> like to yank LINUXTHREADS_OLD before releasing a 0.9.30 if the newer stuff
> works for everybody.  (And if it doesn't, I want bug reports.)

I honestly have never used linuxthreads so I don't how it work. IIRC
there have been some issues in the past... so, unless we are totally
sure, we need to keep the working/stable and old linuxthreads.old.
Remeber that, even when merged, NPTL is available only for 3 archs at
the time being.
> Rob

Comments are welcome.
Carmelo