Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Saturday 12 December 2009 00:12:19 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > I'm looking for a Git repository which corresponds to the kernel in
> > the uClinux distribution, to see the changes with history in a
> > cherry-pickable form. Is there a repository?
>
> i dont know what you're looking for exactly, but the kernel that ships with
> the uClinux-dist is largely a vendor kernel now (which is to say, it's the
> mainline one plus board ports and drivers), and from what i understand, a
> good
> m68k/coldfire reference.

It also has a lot of arm-nommu changes, which is my interest at the
moment as I'm porting something from 2.4 which isn't in anyone's tree,
but is yet another arm-nommu variant.  I don't know if I would find
all the things I need in the mainline kernels.

> in terms of nommu-specific changes, those largely come from David
> Howells and dont see the uClinux-dist tree until they're mainlined
> (or Greg merges them).

I'm not sure about that.  I see quite a few nommu-specific changes in
the uClinux-dist tree relative to the same mainline kernel version.

I had hoped to see the not-ready-for-mainline nommu changes in David
Howells nommu.git :-), but that doesn't seem to see much action.   We
can't have everything I guess :-)

> the kernel we ship with the Blackfin releases for example hasnt used
> the uClinux-dist kernel in years.  we find it easier to stick to
> mainline and get our ADI vendor changes (Blackfin/ADI drivers)
> merged directly.  any nommu problems we have go through David
> Howells and lkml (generally with a uclinux- dev cc to keep people in
> the loop).

That sounds like a good plan.  It's what I'd do.

My specific reason for looking at uClinux-dist is needing to target
another arm-nommu architecture, and not sure if everything needed for
stability on the relevant nearest devices is in mainline or not.

And to see if there are arch-independent nommu changes in uClinux-dist
that are slow getting mainlined, because I need to work with another
completely different nommu architecture too.  I'm about to embark on
some core nommu memory management changes to help with fragmentation
resistance.

If the patch flow for generic nommu is via David Howells -> mainline
-> uClinux-dist, then I can monitor mainline, but if it's David ->
Greg -> uClinux-dist sometimes, then I need to monitor uClinux-dist
releases because I'm not sure where else I'd find them.  I find lkml
impossibly high traffic -- unsubscribed a few years ago due to that --
so I don't know what passes through there these days.  If the most
interesting patches are often only appearing there, I guess I will
need to write some list-processing tool to draw my attention to
patches which I'd likely be interested in.

But not until I've exhausted the question of existing trees and such :-)

And lo, a google for David and I find uclinux-dist-devel which I
hadn't noticed before.  Perhaps I should subscribe there.

Thanks a lot,
-- Jamie