On Tuesday 15 December 2009 14:52:59 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 December 2009 00:12:19 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a Git repository which corresponds to the kernel in
> > > the uClinux distribution, to see the changes with history in a
> > > cherry-pickable form. Is there a repository?
> >
> > i dont know what you're looking for exactly, but the kernel that ships
> > with the uClinux-dist is largely a vendor kernel now (which is to say,
> > it's the mainline one plus board ports and drivers), and from what i
> > understand, a good m68k/coldfire reference.
>
> It also has a lot of arm-nommu changes, which is my interest at the
> moment as I'm porting something from 2.4 which isn't in anyone's tree,
> but is yet another arm-nommu variant.  I don't know if I would find
> all the things I need in the mainline kernels.

yes, Greg also keeps quite a bit of arm-nommu stuff and is probably the most
usable (only?) tree for it.  i dont track the arm kernel, so i'd forgotten
about this.  i do recall a guy stepping up and finally getting things
mainlined, but that's going on like right now, so i doubt mainline is good
enough for you atm.  i imagine it'll be a few releases before you can sanely
switch over to mainline.

> > in terms of nommu-specific changes, those largely come from David
> > Howells and dont see the uClinux-dist tree until they're mainlined
> > (or Greg merges them).
>
> I'm not sure about that.  I see quite a few nommu-specific changes in
> the uClinux-dist tree relative to the same mainline kernel version.
>
> I had hoped to see the not-ready-for-mainline nommu changes in David
> Howells nommu.git :-), but that doesn't seem to see much action.   We
> can't have everything I guess :-)

i dont really know of what you speak exactly.  i just downloaded the latest
uclinux-dist (20091129) and i dont see anything terribly important in mm/ or
fs/, just the normal smattering of random vendor-specific changes.

> And to see if there are arch-independent nommu changes in uClinux-dist
> that are slow getting mainlined, because I need to work with another
> completely different nommu architecture too.  I'm about to embark on
> some core nommu memory management changes to help with fragmentation
> resistance.

i think there is space for defragmentation too ... obviously not in the VM
sense where physical pages get shuffled, but in the buddy allocator sense
where contiguous smaller pages get reassembled into larger pages.

> If the patch flow for generic nommu is via David Howells -> mainline
> -> uClinux-dist, then I can monitor mainline, but if it's David ->
> Greg -> uClinux-dist sometimes, then I need to monitor uClinux-dist
> releases because I'm not sure where else I'd find them.

i'm sure Greg can correct me, but i dont think it's ever gone (in recent
times) from David to Greg only.  David is the FRV arch maintainer and pretty
good at all the nommu stuff, so he pushes straight to Linus.  there isnt
technically a "nommu" maintainer, but David is the current defacto one (at
least in my eyes).

when pushing patches around though, uclinux-dev/Greg/Paul/etc... tend to be
CC-ed so everyone stays in the loop.

> I find lkml impossibly high traffic -- unsubscribed a few years ago due to
> that -- so I don't know what passes through there these days.  If the most
> interesting patches are often only appearing there, I guess I will
> need to write some list-processing tool to draw my attention to
> patches which I'd likely be interested in.

i use gmail + word filters to manage lkml.  the fast majority gets archived
without me ever seeing it.

> And lo, a google for David and I find uclinux-dist-devel which I
> hadn't noticed before.  Perhaps I should subscribe there.

dont let the name fool you.  it's Blackfin-specific (even though nommu patches
do get CC-ed through there).  we rely on the domain (@blackfin...) to indicate
the Blackfin-specific aspect rather than duplicating it in the list names with
like "bfin" qualifiers.
-mike