Hi Greg,

Greg Ungerer wrote:
> The non-MMU ARM is more tricky. I try to keep the uClinux-dist
> ARM no-mmu targets working (well at least GDB/ARMulator/Skyeye).
> But it is very much on a as-time-permits basis for me.

Ironically, I've just spent nearly a day trying to get the
GDB/Armulator or GDB/Skyeye (ARM) configurations of latest
uClinux-dist to boot on Skyeye, following the straightfoward
instructions which are posted on various wikis (which presumably must
have worked at the time), and it half boots but doesn't reach a login
prompt yet.  Lots of Skyeye messages about accesses outside the valid
address space.

I'm using exactly the two toolchains mentioned in the uClinux-dist
source, arm-linux-tools-20061213 and arm-linux-tools-20070808, with
executable names matching what uClinux-dist looks for, so there isn't
a toolchain mismatch.  (My first attempt, with uclinux-tools-20050221
GCC-3.4.3 from develer.com which I've been using for a lot of
arm-nommu work, could not compile even a single executable in the
latest uClinux-dist, due to it's uClibc source making
toolchain-specific assumptions).

These aren't things I expect you to solve for me, but as a result I
found a few small kernel Kconfig bugs and uClibc bugs, whose fixes I
should feed back to the right places.

> Catalin Marinas (from ARM) got the last of required core changes
> commited to Linus' tree for 2.6.32 - so all the core parts are
> now there for non-MMU ARM.

How wonderfully satisfying :-)

> I am in the process of bringing that
> into uClinux-dist (for a new kernel patch) that will have hopefully
> have its non-mmu ARM targets all working with the current 2.6.32
> code base. I expect there is a few things I'll need to clean out
> (that is remove :-) from the uClinux-dist kernel to get that
> non-MMU ARM working again.
>
> I doub't main-line will be enough on its own right now yet.
> The ARM arch peiecs for real targets not all be there. (Maybe
> it is good enough, I just don't know yet).

I'm slowly getting around to adding an arm-nommu real target which is
not supported at all in existing mainline or uClinux-dist kernels, so
that'll be a good way to find out.

Thanks again for your very helpful answers on this topic,
-- Jamie