On 8 December 2015 at 07:03, Greg Ungerer <g...@uclinux.org> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 08/12/15 04:23, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>>
>> The libgmp bundled with uClinux, by default, doesn't build for the
>> M5208 - the m68k assembler uses instructions dropped from early
>> Coldfires.
>> The hack I'm using locally is to configure with --host=none (I got
>> this trick second hand from somewhere).
>>
>> Anyway I noticed that libgmp is, er, a little out-of-date.  The latest
>> version has --disable-assembly which looks to be a cleaner way to
>> handle the assembler problem.
>> (How to decide when to configure with that option is an open question,
>> a Kconfig option).
>>
>> As anyone looked at updating this; or to turn the question round, is
>> there anything needed in the existing version that would prevent this?
>

> Nothing stopping updating as far as I know.
>
> Can I suggest that if you do decide to update it that you convert
> it to automake building.

Yes, that's the plan.  I've noticed that the framework's improved
significantly over the years and I've been able to drop some of my
local hacks.

> The trend over the last couple of years
> is that if we are updating a package then convert it. There
> are quite a few examples to follow in the lib directory. Just
> look for directories that contain a "makefile" and optionally a
> patches directory and not much else.

Any pointers for how to handle --disable-assembly configure option?
For instance, since libreswan requires libgmp, it would have:
   select LIB_LIBGMP
but libreswan doesn't know if --disable-assembly is required, that
would be set by a vendor/platform files?

Andrew