Hello Open Solaris,

Thank you all for the flood of attentive responses on this question. The
the school:

1. A sun Solaris desktop with dual boot option ( based on Srichand
Pendyala's observation that "VMware is free, free as in "free beer" and the
pointed advise from GNS that "over-engineering solutions multiply technical
/ legal / administration. And as Venky pointed out it might not be entirely
legal and it could be expensive to run Vista on VMware.

2. Since it is a machine with a basic configuration, Vista that "doubles
hardware budget" is out, and as observed, there is no particular reason for
Vista for this purpose. So Windows XP.

3. Sriram, how does Open Solaris work with NRC foss ? And with other open
source groups ? Is there any interaction between Open Solaris and other Open
Source groups ? Is Open Solaris a member or otherwise associated with the
govenrment body NRC foss?

I will propose a summary solution to this school as also get to work on some
more schools, to see if we can come up with an opportunity to create a
learning environment in a school or college based on desktop computers and
supportive backend servers all of which primarily run Solaris / Open
Solaris.

Thank you.
Sivasubramanian.