You seem to be implying that the conservative ideology is a whites only philosophy and in so doing you completely miss Dr. Onyeani's argument. Basically what Dr. Onyeani is saying is, what's good for the goose should also be good for the gender, in other words if europeans have been able to exploit conservative philosophys to achieve economic and political superiority (at all cost) then why should africans not do like wise or are saying that the only route for africans to obtain economic and political power is through begging and appealing for aid. In other words you seem to be resigned to the status quo of hinging africa's feature progress to the good will of the richer europeans and now asians and what Dr. Onyeani is essentially saying is that position has not gotten africans anywhere in other words been there done that, it's time for a change. Again Kudos to Dr. Onyeani for having the guts to probably say what is apparently not popular in african/black politics but what is the truth. As they say the truth shall set you free.

From: Vukoni Lupa-Lasaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ugnet_: AFRICAN ECONOMIC WEB DOCTRINE
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:58:37 -0600

Spot on, my ass!

From the offensive title he's slapped on his book, to the jumbled contents of his bombastic address, Dr. Chika Onyeani exudes a symptom that afflicts far too many conservative Black public intellectuals. They imagine they have stumbled upon extraordinary and unspeakable truths with which they will at last save the race -- by plucking the courage to shout aloud those same explosive truths that others are too chicken to even whisper.

If only they were halfway true! There are perhaps only two truths Dr. Onyeani can lay claim to -- none of them really original. One, that we cannot expect our salvation to come from White folk; and two, that his bright ideas have long been the staple of White supremacist folklore and literature. David Duke, David Horowitz, Rush Limbaugh, and their less bare-fanged brethren in right-wing think tanks and academia have been telling us to move on since "Forty Acres and a Mule" and a thousand other promises were made and broken.

The only thing faintly original Dr. Onyeani accomplished rather well was to spruce those ideas up with self-critical analyses and progressive-sounding self-help slogans -- that have been on Black streets for at least half a century -- and to pass them off as his very own. E.g. slogans such as "buy black" were coined by African activists long before Onyeani could write his own name -- let alone a book that is totally unnecessary.

Slavery, colonialism, and racism may well have changed their hues like the wily chameleon a zillion proverbial times, but imperialism is an ongoing project (five hundred years and counting) -- inherited, updated, proudly and loudly re-launched, and implemented from Washington to Whitehall. Ask the hapless victims of the American Project for the New Century in Baghdad, Cochabamba, Gaza, and Putumayo if this is just a Black problem we are facing.

Also, to ignore the cancerously rabid effects of racism, colonialism, and slavery on Black life isn't only as terrible as using them to make sorry excuses for the excesses of our avaricious, inept, and vicious dictators. It is to miss half the diagnosis of the disease.

I wouldn't entrust my life in the hands of a doctor who blatantly ignores the case history of such a disease, prescribes placebos, and is pompously as clueless and vapid as Onyeani.