There is a big difference between acknowledging that someone offended youand adopting principles, philosophies, policies and strategies to ensure that it never happens again as against to sitting on your lurrels and blaming your own personal failures on past wrongs. That is basically the point Dr. Onyeani was making. If you read his presentation keenly, you may have noticed that he started out by outlining his background, basically saying "even though i am from way down here, i am right up here now". If effectiveness of political idealogy and/or philosphy could be measured by results, it is evidently clear, Dr. Onyeani argue's that our politics has not worked. Yes they may have served us once upon in a time when we were in physical bondage but not any longer. The standard "victim syndrome" politics played by most mainstream black/african politians is begin to ware thin, mean while as we waste our time and energy portraying ourselves as victims, the "evil" conservatives are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense. The asians have realised this and are now begin to beat the europeans at there own game. The question is when will the scales fall out of the eyes of africans, Dr. Onyeani is arguing. In short rhetoric without substance is like an empty tin making the most noise. Yes the europeans hear and see our pain in some cases they shed some "crocodile" tears with us and then drop some coins in our beggin plate and then say sorry, if you are satisfied with that, Dr. Onyeani is saying, he is not and i agree with him. What makes it worse is the disingenous way our leaders use the "victim syndrom" politics, again as Dr. Onyeani points out, they stab us in the back with one hand and then pat us on the head with the other, telling us how evil the europeans are and Dr. Onyeani gives the examples of Abacha in Nigerian and Mubutu in the Congo to name but a few. So, again i think he is spot on. Mr. Vukoni as usual, like most in your camp, you are quick to layout the problem but very short on answers and i don't think that is a prudent and realistic position for africa to be in. Africa is in desperate need of answers, everybody knows the problems, we all know about slavery, colonialism and racism and there legacies, however pragmatic solutions will do us more good.

From: Vukoni Lupa-Lasaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ugnet_: AFRICAN ECONOMIC WEB DOCTRINE
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:54:15 -0600

No my friend, I do not imply that the conservative ideology is confined to Caucasians. I'd be foolish to make such a conclusion when men like you and Dr. Onyeani helpfully remind us that you are out of the woodworks.

The main point of my submission is that there is really nothing new that Dr Onyeani is saying. He has merely repackaged the same old drivel ricocheting through the right-wing echo chambers on the Internet and elsewhere.

In my pooh-poohing of Onyeani's puffery, I do not suggest in any way that we can beg our way out of the many crises we face. On the contrary, I very much believe that we need to seize the initiative in seeking solutions to our problems. But we can offer the best solutions only by examining the full range of factors that are responsible for the stagnation and decay that characterize the African condition, including but not limited to the debilitating effects of racism, colonialism, and slavery.

Recognizing these factors doesn't mean that we wallow in victimhood. It merely means that we will be in a better position to identify our real friends and foes and to tell bullshit from genuine gems of wisdom.

And now my friend, for concrete action, how about starting closer to home. Let's cut to the chase and denounce one of Africa's most authoritarian, corrupt, mendicant, and aid-guzzling governments. In case you missed it, I mean your beloved NRM.

vukoni

---