Ethiopia rebels claim to have killed 270 more troops            
Nairobi, Kenya                  04 November 2007 08:34                    
DisplayDCAd('220x240','1','');             dcmaxversion = 9 dcminversion = 6 Do 
On Error Resume Next plugin = 
(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & ""))) 
If plugin = true Then Exit Do dcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1 Loop While 
dcmaxversion >= dcminversion   
  Ethiopia's Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) rebels said on Sunday they 
had killed another 270 government troops in heightened fighting in the remote 
eastern region of the Horn of Africa nation.

Most were blown up in packed trucks, the rebels said.

Prime Minister Meles Zenawi's government has regularly denied ONLF reports of 
mass casualties as propaganda from the its foreign supporters. It has itself 
reported many deaths on the rebel side during its offensive against them this 
year.

No independent assessment of casualties has been possible as the region is 
effectively off-limits to foreign journalists and is also often difficult to 
access for aid workers.

The Ogaden conflict is the worst of several insurgencies that Meles' government 
faces in the outer regions of Ethiopia.

Security forces launched an unprecedented offensive against the ONLF, which 
wants more autonomy for the arid region, after it killed 74 people during a 
raid on a Chinese-run oil exploration field earlier this year.

In its latest "military communiqué", the ONLF said "large numbers" of its 
fighters had engaged government troops in five places between October 26 to 
November 1 due to "summary executions, detentions of nomads and senseless 
shooting of livestock".

"These engagements resulted in over 270 TPLF [government] troops killed with an 
unconfirmed number wounded. Five military transport vehicles were destroyed by 
RPG-7s. The transport vehicles were full of troops when they were struck," it 
said.

"Military engagements between ONLF troops and TPLF forces in the Ogaden have 
increased significantly over the last two weeks. This increase appears to be a 
coordinated and deliberate escalation in armed conflict initiated by the TPLF 
regime despite the humanitarian crisis in the Ogaden."

Ethiopian officials were not immediately available for fresh comment on the 
latest ONLF statement. Last month, the rebels also claimed they had killed 250 
soldiers in other fighting.

The ONLF gave no information of its own casualties.

Ethiopia accuses the ONLF, which is thought by analysts to number several 
thousand armed men, of being terrorists supported by arch-foe and neighbour 
Eritrea. - Reuters
    
       
---------------------------------
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! 
Answers. 
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/


The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to