On 6 March 2018 at 15:48, Simon Lockhart <si...@slimey.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone have any experience of the Juniper MX10003 and/or MX204? I’ve
> always been a Cisco person for core network, and had been looking at ASR9k as
> a 100G upgrade path for our core - but the MX10003 is coming in at under half
> the price of an equivalent ASR9000 build. Equally, I’d been looking at the
> ASR9901 as a border router upgrade, but the MX204 is stupidly cheap in
> comparison.
>
> The one thing we’ve found from reading the spec sheets is that both routers
> have more ports than the ASICs can support, so if you want to use the lower
> speed ports you have to give up one or more of the 100G ports - but this
> seems well documented and easy to work with.
>
> Any other gotchas that people are aware of? The Juniper sales pitch is
> compelling, but I’ve not used them before to know what to be looking out for.

I know that anecdotal information isn't very helpful however, I have
been led to believe that the MX10000 series aren't in a good state
(yet). That's all I can say I'm afraid.

We've been trying to get our hands on the ASR9901's but there is
simply no stock. I don't expect them to be cheap though. As you said,
Juniper are coming in cheaper. Depending on how many 100G ports you
need, why not just get some MX240s or MX480s? Like many modular
devices the chassis are the cheap part so ASR9000 chassis cost or MX
chassis cost won't really be a factor. You need to pit the vendors
against each other and see who'll do you the best price on fabric
cards and line cards :)

Also are you looking at 100G for the core or edge? The ASR9901 is an
edge box with 100G back-haul ports, it's not really a 100G core box.

Cheers,
James.