On 25/05/2020 20:02, Paul Mansfield wrote:
So is it actually feasible to announce *any* date when IPv6 will be
the only connectivity offered to the end user?

No.

Firstly, I'm a big IPv6 advocate, however...

Secondly - with my business ISP hat on, businesses are only very, very rarely asking for it.

The 3 men and a dog local IT companies that set their shitty draytek router up don't understand it.

If I just go and turn it on without telling them and something gets a global IPv6 address that should be firewalled but isn't, and it gets compromised and they end up with a data breach or a load of fraud or something which damages their company, and then I might end up being pursued for damages.

On the other hand if you enable it on things like student halls and public wifi hotspots then it takes a *lot* of the load off your NAT devices and this is really great.

We're going to be in a v4/v6 mixed world for a long time yet and unfortunately you can't just wave a magic wand to change that.

--
Tom

:: www.portfast.co.uk / @portfast
:: hosted services, domains, virtual machines, consultancy