On 25/05/2020 20:02, Paul Mansfield wrote:
Looking back at Y2K, would all that effort have been put in to kill
off old services and tidy up all the cr*p if there hadn't been a fixed
deadline? As to the Jan 19 2038 problem, how many of us hope to be
retired by then, or will we be dragged out of retirement?!

That's not actually 100% true.     There was a look of activity and a lot of IT refresh. But a lot blundered on.

In 2006 I was in my local hospital and watched my friend working at a PC with a sticker on it saying `not Y2K compliant, not the be used after 1st Jan 2020'

A company I did some work for spent £45k on a new manufacturing system. The supplier would not certify as Y2K compliant.  And then when they realised the old one still worked, they used the old one

What I'm getting at, is that

Personally. I've been pestering suppliers for IPv6 for over 12 years.  Some delivered, some haven't.  There are people buying devices today they probably expect to last 10 years, which can't do IPv6.