On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM Per Bilse <perbi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Daniel Karrenberg (founder/CTO RIPE NCC) has for decades said "I sell IP
> address space".  The price has historically been low, but it has always been
> a finite resource, and that goes for IPv6 address space too (when the RIPE
> NCC opened up for IPv6 address space, it took half an hour to receive enough
> requests to exhaust the entire IPv6 address space.)

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. But I don't think the
RIPE NCC has ever had so many requests for IPv6 that it would take all
the IPv6 space for the very simple reason that there isn't enough
network to justify it.

The RIRs collectively took a couple of years to get 100 requests for
IPv6 /35s, back in the day. I remember preparing the announcement that
we had hit that policy milestone.

Now, there is a settled policy for IPv6 allocations to ISPs and each
of the RIRs get a /12 allocation from the IANA from a /3. Those /12s
last a long time and there are enough /12s in that /3 that even if
each RIR needed one a year it would take a century to allocate them
all.