Jordan Share <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone know a way to determine which adapter has link?

If these machines are running Windows XP, you can use the
"NetConnectionStatus" property of the Win32_NetworkAdapter WMI class:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_networkadapter.asp

We ship a generic WMI enumeration script (instances.pl).  Try running
"instances.pl Win32_NetworkAdapter" with the cable connected and
disconnected to see the difference.  But since the NetConnectionStatus
property was first introduced in Windows XP, this will not show any
difference on Windows 2000.

For Win2k, the best idea I have is to run "ipconfig" and parse the
output...

> I'm trying to get a 100% unattended install together.  I did finally
> try the CTTY COM1 trick (for DOS serial console), and it works.  I
> am going to add in a timeout that asks whether you want to install
> over serial (and defaults to no) to all the bootdisks today.  Then I
> can at least start the reinstall remotely.

Glad to hear that worked.  If you have time to try it with the Linux
boot disk, I would be interested to hear the results of that, too.

 - Pat