Well, there is a problem with that....

1. These are not OEM drivers. These are drivers that are built into
windows.
2. I don't have any driver files for these. Dell doesn't even provide
drivers for their USB mice and keyboards.... They just are supposed to use
the built-in drivers and "just work".
3. The Mouse and keyboard drivers get properly associated with the devices
during the unattended installation, and they work, until I use a different
mouse and/or keyboard or in a different USB port.

I think the inf files for these drivers are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\inf
folder. I would think that windows would be smart enough to look in its
own inf folder for drivers when detecting hardware. Is there a setting
somewhere that MAKES it do that?

I can't be the only one using USB mice and keybaords. Does it just plain
work for everyone else?

Juanjo Pablos <jua...@apertus.es>
03/19/2011 05:36 PM
Please respond to
"All things concerning http://unattended.sourceforge.net/";
<unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net>

"All things concerning http://unattended.sourceforge.net/";
<unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net>
cc
matt_fr...@cbca.com
Subject
Re: [Unattended] HID mouse drivers

El 18/03/11 23:30, matt_fr...@cbca.com escribió:

> Most of the PCs that I have been using Unattended with are several
> years old, and all of them have PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports. I have
> received a shipment of newer PCs that don't have the legacy ports, and
> are USB only. When I install Windows XP SP3 on these new machines, the
> keyboard and mouse work fine because they were detected during the
> setup. However, when I deploy the machine, here is where I run into
> the problem...
>
> The keyboard and mouse that get connected to the PC are different
> brands than what I used during installation. To make things more fun,
> there are now 6 to 8 USB ports on these PCs and the devices may not
> have been plugged into the same port as was used during install. The
> result: No mouse or keyboard is detected, and the user cannot login.
>
> I can fix this only if I perform the following:
>
> connect the exact same keyboard that I used during setup to the exact
> same port that I used during setup.
> login as admin.
> go into Device Manager.
> Expand Human Interface Devices.
> Right-click on "HID-compliant device" and choose to update the driver.
> Install drivers from a list, and don't search.
>
> At this point, I get 2 drivers to choose from:
>
> HID-compliant device (which is signed by Microsoft)
> HID-compliant mouse (which is unsigned)
>
> I select the HID-compliant MOUSE, it updates the drivers, and now the
> mouse works. Perform the same procedure for the keyboard, but choose
> HID-compliant keyboard.
>
> This seems way too complicated for what should really be
> "plug-and-play". Why is windows not seeing a USB mouse as a MOUSE? I
> thought that maybe the HID-compliant device driver that was signed was
> overriding the mouse driver because it wasn't signed, but I have
> DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore in the unattended.txt file.
>
> Is there a driver that I should add or a change that I can make to get
> Windows to properly recognize the most important devices connected to
> the machine?
>
> This is really a bummer if I have to ship the machine to a remote
> user, and they can't even use it! ARGH! There was nothing wrong with
> the PS/2 spec....

Did you try to put those drivers under the i386/$oem$ directory?

--
Quien no tiene confianza en el hombre, no tiene ninguna en Dios.
                                 -- Chapman.

Get the latest in industry updates, Health Care reform news, and other
information. Follow us on:
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/CBCANews
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=cbca&o=65&s=10

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic message, and any
attachments accompanying this transmission, may be legally privileged and/or
confidential and protected health information. This information is intended
only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity identified above. The
authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this
information to any other party unless required to do so by law or regulation
and is required to protect the information after its stated need has been
fulfilled.
If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, printing, copying, forwarding, or distributing of this information
is strictly prohibited.
immediately, by telephone or return fax/email, to advise of wrongful receipt
and confirm your understanding of this Notice. Thank You.