On 27/10/2003 16:39, Philippe Verdy wrote:

The backwards marking is not restricted to French accents in collation
level 2. You can use reverse ordering at any tailored level to fit other
needs, and you can also insert an extra collation level.

So I think that Mark is right here as it gives you full control on the
length
of the collating sequence at each level of the collation keys. The case 2
is effectively an exception.

The bad thing is that the current default UCA ordering table does not create
such collation keys with intermediate levels for Hebrew vowels, and you
need tailoring to create a base level with consonnants, one level with
vowels, a third level for sin/shin dots, a fourth for meteg, a fifth for
accents...
unless the text is encoded in logical order using the CCO-convention.

Philippe.

Also, if I am correct, the results of inserting an extra level e.g. for sin/shin dots (which would have to be above that for vowels) are not identical to that of having them at the same level but with sin/shin dot preceding the vowel in the string. It is perhaps uncertain which is preferable. But the default certainly needs to be one or the other, not sin/shin dot on the same level as vowels but after them in the string.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)