Peter Kirk wrote,

(on the use of transliteration fonts)

> OK. And you agree that this is a proper thing to do, and that it should
> not be considered a "cavalierly" and "antiquarian" action, "a throwback
> to the past century"?

Well, I don't think it would be cavalier in any sense to use a
transliteration font.  Hardly antiquarian or throwback, either.

But, I don't for a minute think it's the proper thing to do.
I think it would be silly and churlish.  How fortunate that
those who wish to do so aren't bound by my opinions, eh?

See, those favoring the Phoenician proposal (as I see it) are
trying to serve everyone.  It's a Universal character set, after
all.

Those opposed, who may think the supporters are silly and churlish
(or worse), want to bind us by *their* opinions, don't they?  I don't
see this as "serving everybody", rather it strikes me as being
basically self-serving.

> >(English is slippery.  Whether the use of "cavalierly" above
> >should be interpreted as 'like a gentleman' or 'with arrogance'
> >would be a matter of opinion.)
>
>Ah, well, Unicode has some great cavaliers!

It takes all kinds, as they say!

> Of course. And the point of Unicode is to move away from this situation
> of multiple encodings for the same script, ...

And we get back to the gist.  Is it a separate script?  Would it be
fair to ask for documentation that the ancient Phoenicians who used
the script considered it to be a variant of modern Hebrew?  (No, it's
not a fair question at all.  But, I think it's an appropriate question.)

Also, I'm having trouble understanding why Semitic scholars wouldn't
relish the ability to display modern and palaeo-Hebrew side-by-side
in the same plain text document.  And, even if *all* Semitic scholars aren't
jumping at the chance, why the heck would they want to prevent it?

Best regards,

James Kass