I don't know make. I need a recipe. So I am floundering around. First
the setup, then what I tried.

Fresh install of Unicon 13.0 R5080 as administrator into C:\Unicon
on a windows 10 HP laptop
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.14393 Build 14393
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4288U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
System type x64-based PC,  8GB Ram,

All the commands below were run in a command window "run as
administrator"  (think  sudo bash )  because I had permissions problems
earlier.

"which" reports that make.exe and sh.exe are found in
C:\Program Files(x86)\GNU\Unx

the readme in C:\Unicon\tests\bench\icon says that I can prepare for
benchmarking with
  make benchmark
cd C:\Unicon\tests\bench\icon
make benchmark
gives
make benchmark-icont
translating rsg
make[2]: *** [compile-icont] Error 1
make[2]:Leaving directory `C:/Unicon/tests/bench/icon'
make[2]: *** [benchmark-icont] Error 2
make[2]:Leaving directory `C:/Unicon/tests/bench/icon'
make: *** [benchmark] Error 2

back at prompt
it made some bat files, and some .u files.

umake benchmark
gave
umake: -1 exit by "\t benchmark-icont"

no better if I repeat it.

----------------------
back to a clean version of C:\unicon\tests

run make on c:\Unicon\tests\bench
make

makefile:198: target `Clean' given more than once in the same rule.
unicon -s -c pool.icn
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), unicon -s -c pool.icn, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [pool.u] Error 2
dir pool*.* shows pool.icn in C:\Unicon\tests\bench .

back to a clean version of C:\unicon\tests

umake test
the last error is
{&null . clone} from line 129 in umake.icn

('test' has no referent it seems)

oH WELL.
cd C:\Unicon\tests\bench

umake

generating input files.....'generate.out is not recognised as an
internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

"'generate.out' is not recognised as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."  appears 9 times

dir *.dat shows 9 empty .dat files with [integer] || "-" || ("mil" or
"thou") || ".dat" names e.g.25-mil.dat
ipxref.dat has today's date & time size 1.6MB  2 other dat files are
dated 2016 (so must have been precomputed)

running umake again gives no errors, but the mil and thou data files are
empty as before

running a compiled fasta.icn  will create the mil and thou  data files.
I did that a few days ago.
I'll reinstate them and carry on in a later session.