The moral of the story is that if we want to be able to run the benchmarks
 and/or the standard test suite on Windows then we have to come up with a
way around Windows limitations/restrictions. The benchmark and the tests
are independent of other parts of the language so we can easily ship them
separately allowing the user to place them in a writable  location to start
with and run them there.

Jay, you have made very good progress! I did run the benchmark on a new
Windows machine and I got to the same point at regex-dna. I think there is
a problem there. It looks like the program hangs so waiting will not help.
I will look into this issue, but it is going to take me some time to do
that.  For now, if  you want to continue just edit run-benchmark and take
out regex-dna.

Thank you very much for the feedback.
Jafar