I did a simple experiment this evening which actually worked :-))))

I did put a "tee" command in between the pipeline in customconvert.conf
, so sound will still be piped to the squeezebox (if you don't do so it
will
skip all tracks of a cd and stops playing). But instead of letting tee
write to a file I had it write to a named pipe (aka fifo).

Then I had a play play the sound from that named pipe.

Ok so why do I want all this? Well it does give one the possibility of
using the squeezebox to control what you wanna listen to but instead
have the sound get out of your soundcard. The reason I want this is is
because I find the digital out of the SB3 quite bad (when connecting a
high-end cd
player its sounds way better). Another reason to want this is to get
rid of the delays between tracks, because brutefir can now keep
running
instead of restarting between tracks.

Ok so please don't flame me about the impossibility of my "sounds
better" statement, this is about letting you know a way to accomplish
the sound of
the songs that the SB3 is playing to come out of a soundcard.

Ok now the bad news. This whole process works but not for long :P
Especially when the fifo is filled but not used at the other end, the
whole process get stuck :P

--
tingtong5