Thanks for the reply.

I started again, reloading everything from scratch, and it worked.  I
still have a problem, however.

If I boot with the HDDs unattached everything goes fine.  If I boot
with the HDDs attached, and the BIOS set to disable the SATAs,
everything goes fine -but- it is booting from the HDD.  I know this
because I used a different root password for the CF and the HDD
installs (the CF password works only when I boot without HDD, the HDD
password works only when I boot with HDD(s) attached.  Also, I used
different Host Names and these switch according to the mode).

I cannot fathom why this is happening and have rebooted (say) ten times
in each mode and I just can't get the mini-ITX to boot from CF when the
HDD is attached, -in spite of checking that the BIOS is set to every
time-.

Any steers, please?

--
Shellness