Unfortunately I’m still stuck.  The BIOS doesn’t offer a boot priority
as such, it offers boot sequence (with Enabling/Disabling per item).  I
managed to format SDA but I just cannot format SDB which has the boot on
it.  When I type the following commands I get the subsequent
statements:

fdisk /dev/sdb
1
Enter
Enter
“The kernel still uses the old table.”

mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/sdb1
“/dev/sdb1 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!”

Thinking I might be able to get around this by dismounting the drive I
tried to find how to dismount the drive.  “unmount” doesn’t work and
“apropos mount” brings up “mount: nothing appropriate”.   I can’t find
anything under “mount”, “dismount” or “unmount” in Clear’s web site,
either.

Looking at the Hardware Status in ClearOS Reports I get the following.
A number of things seem curious:
- 1) The HDA is the 8Gb CF and yet, somehow, the SDB thinks it's HDA3
- 2) both SDA & SDB are 1Tb yet the size is shown as 916Gb & 902 Gb
respectively – I’ve lost nearly 100Gb per HDD

Mount - Type - Partition - Free - Used - Size
/boot - ext3 - /dev/hda1 - 60Mb - 11Mb - 75Mb
/ - ext3 - /dev/hda3 - 854Gb - 1Gb - 902GB
/mnt/Drive1 - ext2 - /dev/sda1 - 916Gb - 200Mb - 916Gb

Do I gather from the above that the SDB is somehow seeing itself as an
HDA.

I then powered down, swapped the SATA cables and rebooted.  I got the
following Hardware Status Report (note, SDA is now the old SDB which
has the boot still on it).  There was no CF (HDA) showing and no SDB:

When I swapped the SATA cables around, the mounted file systems showed
only:

Mount - Type - Partition - Free - Used - Size
/ - ext3        /dev/sda1 - 854Gb - 1.29Gb - 902 Gb

I have rebooted well over ten times and not managed to change anything.
If I had access to an old PC I’d just connect the troublesome disc to
it and try to format it from there, however I don’t have access to an
old PC.

Can you see any way out of this, per chance?

Thanks.

--
Shellness