Jeff07971 wrote:
> Pi3's WiFi is not very good at the best of times, I never use it.
In my experience, Pi3 built-in wifi is surprisingly good.
Almost every Pi 3 I've setup is either using it for AP or bonding with
ethernet.

The OP should look elsewhere: use of incompatible settings in the AP,
weak signal, ...

IMHO powerline is a good option is you have bad wifi coverage and don't
want to use ethernet cabling.
Another option I like is flat ethernet cables. Dimensions and
flexibility like a (cooked) tagliatella, much easier to conceal than
round cables.
Wireless extenders are no good: either they extend nothing really, or
they break up themselves when too far from the AP.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.