Please help me to verify a bug or educate me what I'm missing

Just upgraded from 3.20 to 3.22 via insitu upgrade.
All went well except the to-be-expected omissions in the upgrade.
So after I added the dtoverlay line in /mnt/mmcblk0p1/config.txt again,
I backed up the changes and rebooted with  "pcp br"  and then
reinstalled the ALSA 10 band Equalizer from the gui.
Then I edited the /etc/asound.conf to point to my card, and tested alsa
output to function OKE , after the Squeezelite restart.
So it works , with the odd soundcard and equalizer as before.
So far no surpises.
But then the changes to /etc/asound.conf can not be retained over a
system reboot.
The backup does work, but it seems the restore is not done properly in
the startup after a boot.
Manually doing a "sudo filetool.sh -r" ( and Squeezelite restart )
proves the change is in the backup, and  did not really lost it ;-)

So what am I missing ?

BTW the GUI field Squeezelite ; Output setting  : "equal"
is no longer editable, suggesting work done to prevent editing the
needed settings for alsa equal after enabling.

Greetz M-H