acanning wrote:

> Can I try the new beta without updating the bootloader?

Yes, that error message is telling you that the firmware being used is
not new enough to upgrade the bootloader.  Firmware is not the same as
the bootloader.

The pi4 bootloader is not even contained in the image.  The flashing
process is completely separate.   But be warned, that the Sept 10th 2019
firmware is now official, and if you are running Raspbian, then the
bootloader is going to get automatically updated when you do an update.

I will likely never make the process automatic on pCP.

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please 'donate'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=U7JHY5WYHCNRU&lc=GB&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted)
if you like the piCorePlayer