Thanks for the information, HansS.

My experience is with other Open Source communities, and I conclude that
certain nomenclature is a local dialect thing. Indeed, a "port" in the
MacPorts community is actually a software package.

When I search the official ports tree with string,
"logitechmediaserver", I get pointers to four plugins for LMS that I
recognize, and the server itself at:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/audio/logitechmediaserver.

The name the search results gives is confusing:
"logitechmediaserver-7.9.2.g2018.12.10" which embodies a version of LMS
different from what's now being exported, and a checkin date that's also
ancient.

The FreshPorts tracking page at
https://www.freshports.org/audio/logitechmediaserver/ says Last Update:
2021-05-06 11:47:41

Forgive my being stupid here, but I can't get my brain around where the
update to version 8 that you did landed in the freebsd ports tree.  Is
it the case that the workflow around your "bug report" means that the
8.x update you've submitted isn't yet pushed out to the official ports
tree yet?

LMS 7.9 - 2xSB2, 2xBoom, 2xKodi, Ocean Digital WR2300S, Denon
AVR-X6200W, SHIELD Android TV