I'm ok with Google Groups.

-- Cole

Quoting Wade Preston Shearer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

All,

I am toying with the idea of dropping Mailman for Google Groups and
would like some feedback from the group. Mailman is a nice, old  friend
that has giving years of dedicated service to the community,  but his
age is showing. Sure, once you get it configured and locked  down, it
will run like a champ for years on end, but installing and  configuring
Mailman is a royal pain and even adding/editing lists,  administering
services, and managing personal accounts is a pain. The  interface is
archaic and horrible from a usability standpoint.  Mailman's features
are excellent, but they aren't any good if you  can't figure out how to
use them or it is so complicated that you  don't want to bother. Plus
the archives aren't searchable. Plus the  archives display your email
address un-obsficated.

While I have considered alternate solutions off an on in the past, the upcoming project of rebuilding the server has be considering it very seriously now. Another motivation is the desire for a more robust and flexible solution that better meets the needs of all users. I have longed for some time for a solution that married a forum and a mailing list into one, so that the forum people would be happy and the email people would be happy? with posts coming from both email and web-based interface and being one and the same? perfectly synchronized and users only interacting through the medium they desire and receiving notifications in the manner they desire.

Well, there is a solution that does just this: Google Groups. And,
it's free. And it has a very slick, user-friendly interface. And it's
archives are searchable. And it obsficates your email address. You  can
even receive the post via RSS if you are so inclined. I am still
checking to see if I can import our old archives, but assuming that
that and everyone having to have a Good Account are the only
downsides, what does everyone think? I think that I'm ready to make
the switch. We would still post to uphpu@uphpu.org, the mail would
just be delivered from [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead. It does  digest
mode and everything.

What do you think?

wade