Harald Hoyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> in the process of migrating Fedora/Red Hat Linux to upstart I
> came across several issues.
>
> With the current implementation I see the following problems:
>       - the job description files are very static. Dependencies
>         can only be added, modified, deleted by modifying this
>         one job file (not package friendly)

ack; service configuration is a large problem. E.g.

| exec foo --optionA --optionB

requires editing of the description file to change an option.
Putting everything in 'exec script ...' which sources a file is
not really an option as it brings us back to the slow system(3)
instead of fast execve(2) startup.

Solutions might be the loading of simple text files with
'<key>=<value>' pairs and allowing something like

| exec foo $key

Obviously, this creates the problem of creating proper quoting
rules.

On the other side, upstart scripts are much more simple than
e.g. SysV initscripts having hundreds lines of complicated bash
code.  Hence, editing these scripts directly might be a more sane
solution.

>       - there is no dependency like "start me before service
>       xyz"

can be expressed by 'start on starting xyz'

Enrico