We are running into some issues similar to what is being quoated.

1. enabling/disabling from startup.
<Sarvi>
Proposal:
  enable on <condition>
  disable on <condition>
Where <condition> takes a value the similar as a start on or stop on
condition.

2. startup conditions are driven by the state of other jobs instead of
their state transition events. Why? If a job that contains "start on
starting xyz" was added after xyz is already started it would have
already missed the job starting event from the job it depends on. And
have met its condition for starting.
<Sarvi>
Proposal
    We would simply like to allow start on or stop on conditions to take
job state as a value. By allowing a keyword "in" before the name of the
event.
Example:
    start on state starting JOB_NAME=XYZ

Where "state" simply means that we should be matching the state of job
XYZ instead of the event. The goal is met when the state of the source
of the event is in state "starting" as opposed to the event "starting"
Internal events generated by jobs automatically have a source which is
the JOB_NAME that generated the event.

To handle external events, can carry a START_STATE and END_STATE
environment variables, which carries the state transition of the source
of the event.
And we could track the state of the source within upstart by a dummy
job(as a state) of the external source.

Sarvi