2008/11/7 Scott James Remnant <sc...@netsplit.com>:

> I think we can do something much cleverer.  I like the idea of having a
> "manual" functionality that's separate to the job definitions:
>
>  # initctl status apache2
>  apache2 running
>
>  # initctl manual --stop apache2
>  apache2 now in manual mode,
>  apache2 stopped

..

> The implementation would probably be state in /var/lib/init, completely
> external to the job definitions.

I really like this idea of keeping the job definition and the "manual"
state separate. It pretty closely describes what I tried to explain in
[1] and  [2] (what you call "manual" maps to my
"enable(d)|disable(d)")

My idea of "profiles", would simply extend this idea of a state in
/var/lib/init, either by storing the state in separate files or
subdirectories.
Such a profile could be chosen on the boot prompt.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/upstart-devel/2008-November/000819.html
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/upstart-devel/2008-November/000838.html