Scott James Remnant schrieb:
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 18:27 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:

Because, I don't want a service to start (neither automatically by
upstart nor on demand).
Ok, as long as a package update does not reinstall the job file, I can
just move it away.

But *why* do you want this?!

Give an example of a service that would normally be disabled such that
it cannot even be started by a sysadmin.

That seems somewhat silly, given the binary is still on the disk, no?

Scott

I think we talk in different directions.

I mean a system service (like sendmail) which is defined as a daemon in a job
file.
Now, I temporarily want to disable sendmail without removing the whole sendmail
package.
So I move away /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail. If the sendmail package provides the job file directly and the package gets updated automatically, /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail would be back again after the update. So either the sendmail package provides the jobs file /etc/init/possible-jobs/sendmail and another tool (like chkconfig) softlinks to /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail or there is another mechanism to enable/disable jobs.