On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 08:44 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:

> Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 19:46 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> >
> >> I mean a system service (like sendmail) which is defined as a daemon
> >> in a job file.
> >> Now, I temporarily want to disable sendmail without removing the whole
> >> sendmail package.
> >>
> > In this instance, you presumably want it not automatically started.
> > There's no reason to prevent the sysadmin starting it by hand, if they
> > force it?
> >
> manual starting of sendmail does not require upstart, so what is your
> definition
> of "manual" ?

Exactly, if you're not removing the /sbin/sendmail binary, the sysadmin
can directly start it.  So why disable the Upstart job in such a way
that the sysadmin can't just issue "start sendmail"?

As far as I understand it, there are two basic levels of disabling a
service:

 1) Don't automatically start, but allow sysadmin to manual start.

    In the 0.10 design, this is supported by adding a stanza like
    "manual" or "disabled" to the job - or removing one like "auto"
    (not yet decided)

 2) Disable service entirely.

    This can be done by simply removing the job definition, or moving it
    out of the way.

    Upstart won't put it back, and unless there's a bug in your package
    manager, it shouldn't be put back on upgrade either.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?