On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 21:08 +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Scott James Remnant:
> > This is automatic enabling and disabling, and is solved in the 0.10
> > design, you'd just use a while state that specified either on AC power
> > only, or on battery only.
> >
> I don't particularly care if it's automatic, manual, or by
> phase-of-moon. The point is that some process needs to add this
> while clause to the MySQL-or-whatever config file in question.

What's wrong with that?

At the end of the day, they're configuration files (I've not joined the
udev move-'em-to-/lib crusade yet) - if the sysadmin has different
requirements to the package author, they're free to edit them.

> A possible alternate way would be to support clauses like
>
> # cat /etc/event.d/PowerManagerMods
> modify mysql-server
>       while ac-powered
>
> which would have the exact same semantics. That'd also be a rather easy
> way to disable a service. All without touching said service's own config
> files.

The trouble with that is if you have a reasonably complex while clause
and you want to interject something into the middle.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?