> On 11 Feb 2020, at 6:10 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
> <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Can the merge function be extended to support scripts interleaved between
> blocks of non-code?
>
> e.g. this works in Server, and not in Merge:
>
>     <?lc if there is a file "something" then ?>
>     This is some non-code
>     <?lc else ?>
>     Some other non-code
>     <?lc end if ?>

I suspect it could but might require merge to do two parses to execute server
style then execute merge style so in the end it might be better to have a
separate function. A way to just parse once and execute multiple times like a
regular script would be useful. Perhaps the engine could maintain a stack of
compiled server style scripts like it does for regex. I’m not overly sure it
adds a great deal to the platform though. Probably use cases for this are
better served my multi-line string literals.

Cheers

Monte