Bob,

with which version of LC did you see this?

I had a look at the most current dp version of 10. If LC would require a
certificate then there should be somewhere in the standalone settings a area
where one could select an appropriate certificate.  But that is not the case.

What LC does for some time now when creating a macOS standalone is doing an
ad-hoc code signing. Please do not ask me what that is, ;)
but  this kind of code signing seems not to require a certificate.
The ad-hoc code signing is done in the stack
revsaveasstandalone.livecodescript.  Search for 'private command
performAdHocCodesign'

So there might some other problem and LC does come up with a misleading error
message.

Matthias