Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

On 10/3/13 5:11 PM, Phil Davis wrote:
On 10/3/13 2:40 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
I need to understand this better. The dictionary says the
socketTimeoutInterval specifies how long to wait before sending back a
timeout message. It sounds like the timeout doesn't affect the data
transmission, it's only a warning, and the data will be sent
eventually. Is that correct?

That's my experience in a LAN-based client/server system. The message
fires every time another (socketTimeoutInterval) msecs goes by, until
the transfer is complete or until the connection breaks.

The dictionary also says the default interval is ten seconds, but I'm
seeing timeouts in much less time than that. Maybe the dictionary is
wrong?

Heeey, is that possible?  ;-)

What's a good timeout interval for iffy network connections?

Trial and error will tell you the truth. I can only speculate. I think
in the aforementioned LAN-based system we use 20 seconds due to some
occasionally large datastream sizes. We set it that high to avoid
interrupting user activity with an information-only dialog.