Kay-

Friday, June 6, 2014, 5:19:10 PM, you wrote:

> I noticed in my search that people reported top as being quite CPU
> intensive and in my own tests it went to No2, just below LC when I was
> running my stacks; so a bit chicken and egg, I wanted to know what was
> using my memory and CPU and using top was always going to place itself
> in the list.  This is understandable as top is active whilst the id,
> ps, and vm_stat are all static, but I notice that even Activity
> Monitor with all it's bells and whistles uses significantly less CPU
> than top.

OK. That makes sense. Top is cpu-intensive, and has to be in order to
do what it does. I don't think it's a memory hog, though, and I
thought that was what you were concerned with in the first place,
since you posted that you ran out of memory.

> Plus, it was more of an exercise to see if I could reinvent the wheel
> and build something similar in LC that could be customised to report
> exactly what I was interested in, when I was interested in it, no
> more, no less. Hopefully it will provide a stepping off point for
> others to adjust the output to exactly meet their needs.

Yes, thanks for posting it. It's quite nicely done.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.