J. Landman Gay wrote:

On 6/6/2014, 7:33 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

But even more fun, you can take a trip back to 1997 to read Scott
Raney's article in Linux Journal about using LiveCode (back then called
"MetaCard") to build a GUI for top:
<http://porky.linuxjournal.com:8080/LJ/043/2110.html>

This looked pretty cool so I recreated his stack. I think Mavericks
stores the file somewhere else because the scripts ran just fine but I
got no data back.

If anyone knows where Mavericks put the file, I'd like to try it. As-is,
it's looking for "/proc/stat" and there is no proc folder in OS X.

One nice thing about Unix/Linux is that everything is setup to appear as a file, so piping and other goodies work together nicely.

One tricky thing about Unix/Linux is that not everything that appears to be a file is actually a file. :)

/proc is a virtual file system containing system info ("processes"). It's more akin to an associative array than a directory tree.

Handy as it is, not all *nixes support it - this site explains more, with some suggestions of OS X alternatives to some /proc info:

<http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/procfs/>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems