Martin:
It’s actually LTI here is a link:
http://www.imsglobal.org/activity/learning-tools-interoperability
<http://www.imsglobal.org/activity/learning-tools-interoperability>

There is another protocol that is getting support in the US called “Common
Cartridge”. Link:
https://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#37
<https://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#37>

Common cartridge seems to have been built in response to the shortcomings of
SCORM. SCORM is most useful for training, while Common Cartridge and LTI are
more oriented toward higher ed, with more features necessary for assessment of
student learning.

If an investment is to be made in developing software to interface with an LMS,
I hope they can interface with a variety of popular platforms, like Moodle,
Blackboard, Canvas, and others I haven’t come across.

Best,
Bill