On 08/10/2017 06:40 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

On 11 Aug 2017, at 11:38 am, Mark Wieder via use-livecode
<use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

I would actually argue against this. For me, the useful part would be

end if # some complicated condition

Otherwise, making the user come up with a comment that basically says "some
complicated condition" anyway, and doing all the maintentance you've described above
sounds like a lot of work for very little gain.

OK but:

if some complicated condition then

else if some other complicated condition then

else if some yet again complicated condition then

else

end if # what do you put here?

I would code that as

switch someRelatedVariable
  case someComplicatedCondition
    break
  case someOtherComplicatedCondition
    break
  case someYetAgainComplicatedCondition
    break
  default
end switch -- someRelatedVariable

<g>

but otherwise, I assume the 'end if' is attached to the 'if' and use that condition as the comment. The whole point of this isn't to create useless comments, but to ensure that a large structure can still be parsed visually. By the time I get to an 'end if' statement a few screens down I'll want to know what the original 'if' statement was, and with two spaces of indentation that's often hard to grok.

What would you put as a comment after the 'end if' using your proposed approach? The original comment for the 'if' statement or something else? Would you force the user to create comments for each 'else if' as well?

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com