stephen barncard wrote:
Isn't that kind of lame that it's offered in the IDE, but the unspoken rumor
is that it doesn't work, and we're not supposed to use it, yet no-one has
ever given an exact reason why? What if it has been fixed, yet the
impression persists?

One man's lame is another man's affordance. For simple layouts the GM seems to work well. Any issues folks have had with it are an understandable byproduct of attempting to abstractify dynamic layout geometry in such a generalized way.

The old THINK Class Library (how old am I that I remember that? <g>) included a class for managing layout geometry, and with similar results. It's a hard task to pull off.

Given the nearly infinite variety of ways people can arrange their objects, compounded by the interdependencies between them as some objects may be relative to others which are relative to others which are relative to the card bounds, building a universal tool which is always reliable is somewhere between too complex to be worth it and impossible.

Being a gadgeteer myself I started down that road once. Halfway into that dark forest of possibilities I turned back, and have been enamored of the relative ease and absolute control of using resizeStack handlers ever since.

RunRev was more ambitious than I, and their tool does a reasonably good job on some types of layouts. But since it - or any generalized tool - won't be able to handle every possible case I can throw at it, I think it's useful for people to know they have options.

This is one aspect of programming that I would like to not hassle with.

It's not so bad: once you get into a habit of writing resizeStack handlers it becomes second-nature, and takes only a minute or so for most layouts.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World