I tried your approach and got bogged down, and finally cut the Gordian knot by avoiding the problem altogether. What I ended up doing was making sure that there are no true quotation marks in the text field -- use "smart quotes" instead. Open quote = numtochar(210) and close quote = numtochar(211). In my stack I use a rawkeydown handler to ensure that user-typed quotes are replaced with the appropriate smart quote. If the preceding character is in cr & space & tab or the char is the first char of the field then replace with numtochar(210) else replace with numtochar(211). (For imported text, process the text using the same rules before putting it into the field.) Then the word counts work properly and all you have to do is make sure that any colorization/formatting excludes an initial or trailing smart quote (looks better that way).

The general problem here is that, contrary to all other computing contexts I know about, in Rev anything enclosed by true quotation marks is regarded by the engine as one word. This causes no end of problems for text manipulation (which I do a lot of). PITA.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmb...@gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig