On 11/24/2005 at 05:04 PM, Thomas McGrath III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This definitely sounds like a user error. If you have more than one
> menu group it will create confusion. If the group "fgttryiolk" is in
> the place menu then it was because you 'the user' created it first,
> Rev certainly did not create it or put it in your stack. Rev gets
> blamed for things like this all of the time.

I have seen this "behavior" frequently -- yes frequently -- in the OS X
version(s) of Rev since waaaaay back. Oddly though, the situation where a
stack, group, or object strangely gets named some crazy name like
"fgttryiolk" can hardly be written off as completely user error because I
never see this happen in the Win2K/XP version of Rev. I don't want to
anger the MacOS fans on this list, but there are anomalies like this that
do not show themselves in Win or Lin systems.

> What probably happened was that you were trying to figure out what
> was wrong and either copied or created a menu group and while it was
> still selected accidentally typed in the name field, then deleted this
> background group from that particular card but it was still in the
> stack. Then you created a new group and had two menu groups and were
> trying to fix the one but the other one was still there.

Yes, these "accidents" tend to happen... especially when it LOOKS LIKE you
are naming the correct object, group, or stack. I don't know if it is
MacOS or the RevIDE implementation in MacOS that is at fault, but it
happens alot, and you don't realize it until afterwards because the object
inspector indicated that you were naming the selected object but it was
something else completely.

> The best approach is always to create a sample stack and put a menu
> into it to see if it works and that you understand what you are doing
> in that stack then try and figure out what you did wrong in the
> broken stack.
>
> Don't feel bad though, I certainly blame Rev first and then the Gods
> of programming before I grudgingly look at myself as the culprit.
> Most times if I post here others will point this out quickly and then
> I go OHH, sorry it was me after all. The only problem is that the
> thread looks like Rev is the problem but in reality it was me all along.

LOL  The "gods of programming" must work at Apple then.

> Next time it would be better not to put "what REALLY SUCKS about Rev"
> in the subject line when after all it more than likely and in this
> case was your mistake.

More appropriately, the subject could have been "what REALLY SUCKS about Rev
--- ON OS X". Don't get me wrong. The MacOS
is a cool and wonderful thing, but there is a certain quirkiness that
often is simply overlooked by its many FANaticS (RunRev Team included).
;-)

Roger Eller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>